On Thursday 14 September 2006 07:16, you wrote:

> > * Defaulting to bash, easier to use - Implemented.
>
> that one shows the research you did, which would usually save me from
> feeling any reason to respond...

True, it was just a silly assumption when I all of a sudden had keyboard
scroll buffer after an upgrade. When I build boxes I try to make minimum
changes and though I certainly could replace things and customers would not
complain, I tend to keep each O/S as they come.

But when I was faced with not having a scrolling through previous commands I
usually loaded bash to get it. Now it's there so I just use the default
shell.

> > * Out of date vi, harder to navigate and use, poor visual feedback.
>
> ...'cept of all the responses on this, people seem to have missed a few
> key reasons why vim is not and should not be part of OpenBSD, even if it
> was really vi.
>
> $ ls -l /usr/local/bin/vim /usr/bin/vi
> $ ldd /usr/local/bin/vim /usr/bin/vi
> $ ls -l /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so.4.0 /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.3.0
>
> *oink*

Good points.

> Now, to an emacs user, vim may look pretty lean.
>
> However, OpenBSD is a multi-platform OS.  Not everyone has an amd64 or even
> the "legacy" i386 platform.  A bloated editor is NOT AT ALL FUN on a slower
> machine, such as a mac68k or mvme88k.  When you call up an editor, it
> should just come up, not start chugging...  Splash screens aren't too cool,
> either, for system stuff.

True.

> Take the time to learn real vi.  You might just like it.  vi is on every

Hehe, same assumption. I've been using it on a daily basis for the last 11
years.

> For the record: I maintain the FAQ using vi.  I write scripts using vi.
> When I stick my nose into code, I use vi.  When I am teaching someone,
> I teach them vi.  vi is very capable.  It does NOT limit what you
> accomplish.

Quite true. I heard of a magazine where they all used vi to typeset with...

> I've had people encourage me to try vim.  I've tried it.  I didn't like
> it...in part, because it was too close to real vi, but clearly not real
> vi, so I started using it like vi, and it didn't "work".  Plus, I found
> some operational modes "quirky" and unexpected.  Probably I could turn
> knobs and make it work like I expect...but then, I've now got a
> non-standard editor running in a non-standard way.  No joy in that for
> me...
>
> Nick.

I can certainly appreciate your view. Thanks for the feedback.

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be
capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control.
A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty.
                        From the Declaration Principles