Hi Claudio,

first, I'd like to thank you for your comment.

On Fri, 13.10.2006 at 16:00:55 +0200, Claudio Jeker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 500kpps sustained is a crazy amount of packets (especially think about
> possible peaks). Currently you can fine tune a OpenBSD box to do over
> 450kpps but there is not much headroom left for peaks.

Well, before specifying that packet rate, I skimmed the performance
figures of 7206VXRs which can be made to go up to 2Mpps (using NPE-G2),
and this gear is afair rated for a few 100MBit/s. So... when attempting
to size such stuff, I wanted to make sure that the box holds up in case
of DDoS and (eg.) not crash due to overload.

> It is better to split the load on two routers that do 250kpps each.

Erm, how do I do that on a single line?!?

> Additionally get a fast single CPU i386 (I would use a AMD Opteron in i386
> mode) and good network cards. This currently gives you the best bang for
> the bucks.

Is there anything wrong with using an Opteron chip in amd64 mode?
Wrt. network cards, I think I'm looking at bge or sk cards unless you
want to suggest something else.

> Btw. 500kpps traffic as seen on the net is more than 3Gbps.

Maybe, but it depends on your traffic characteristic... If it's only
web surfing, FTP or email, then I tend to agree. Ok, I relax to
200kpps, but it needs to do a little pf, carp, and a few BGP sessions
(full table).

Best,
--Toni++