On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 09:55:10AM -0700, Karsten McMinn wrote:
> On 10/18/06, Jeff Quast <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Documentation is key!
> >
> >http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/CategoryHardwareChipset
> >http://www.xfree86.org/current/manindex4.html
> >
> >It took me about 30 minutes to find a $30 ati card that is well
> >supported. The 9200 looks promising. I was able to find a card based
> >on this series with a dvi port.
> >
> >mga is also promising.
>
> I've got a G450 on order already to see how that guy works. I've
> read in places that the 2d performance with those cards
> under the mga driver is fast.
>
> Besides 2d performance though
> I'd love to answer questions like why one has to wait 2 seconds
> to load apps like konsole or kedit (on kde 3.5). kde is probably
> a bad example, but its usually the same stuff with other apps
> in the other windows managers. I may be preaching to the
> choir, but for some reason after years of using X-apps/windows
> I just have to know if there a faster way to do xorg that I
> may have missed somewhere, some faq, some manpage,
> some better (faster) app and window setup that I may
> have missed somewhere....

I'm not sure about KDE, but rxvt loads pretty fast (<10ms?) on ion. And
this is not exactly new hardware (neomagic driver, Thinkpad 390X).

aterm takes .5 seconds due to the transparent background, and dillo
takes about 1 second before it begins displaying my home page. It's more
in the applications than in Xorg, usually.

                Joachim