On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 01:54:47PM -0400, Adam wrote:
> Joachim Schipper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Performance is also not bad. A properly written FastCGI program in a
> > 'fast' language like C should outperform mod_php, but there are not many
> > things that will
>
> Yes, there are lots of things that will.  A properly written fcgi app in
> pretty much any language is faster than PHP.  I think ruby might be slower,
> or at least as slow as PHP, but perl and python are certainly faster.
>
> > the main requirements is that the whole site should work when handed
> > over to a commercial hoster,
>
> Any decent hosting company can handle perl/python/etc.  Wether it be in
> the form of mod_${LANG} or fastcgi apps.

Yes, but the cheapest offer only PHP. ;-)

But the real reason is that PHP is the most widely-used language; it's
quite a bit more likely that we can find someone who has written a PHP
script or two to replace me than pretty much anything else. Learning
a new language is a non-trivial time investment, after all.

This is the main reason. If it were just me, I'd write the pages in a
combination of C, Perl, and whatever language I'm toying with today, all
over FastCGI.

                Joachim