Stuart Henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I just don't understand how there can be a difference factor of 10.
>
> factor of 100.

(Are you really sure a minute has 100 seconds?)

> softdep mount option? this will slow down creation/removal of
> large numbers of files.

Please, you are not a dog, that Pavlovian response is nonsense.

> hard-drive write caching? (check under the 'Device has enabled...'
> section of 'sudo atactl wd0') drive write speeds will be low if it's
> not enabled (some drives normally enable it, some don't and you can
> do so in rc.local).

Strictly speaking, you should DISABLE write caching when using
softupdates.

Anyway, none of this comes remotely close to explaining the problem.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]