Is it possible to configure an area in ospfd.conf to be a stub area?

I have an area where all particpating routers (ciscos) are configured
to treat it as a stub ie.

router ospf 1234
  area 1 stub

There doesn't appear to be a way of setting a similar option in
ospfd.conf, so when I start ospfd I get errors like the following:

recv_hello: ExternalRoutingCapability mismatch, interface vlan18

and no neighbour relationships are established. This is because all
LSAs sent by the ABR have the ExternalRoutingCapability option set as
per the OSPF specs for a stub area and ospfd appears to be hardcoded
to drop these.

Any suggestions welcome.

Regards,
Nigel