On 2/17/07, Jeff Rollin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 17/02/07, Greg Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 2/17/07, Jeff Rollin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > What's stopping YOU? And even if something is stopping you, why do you
feel
> > it necessary or wise to tell that user to use Linux instead of working
> > improve OBSD and/or help him with his problem?
> >

> Because in general it's a waste of time to help a user to get his
> OpenBSD install to work just like his Linux install, performance-wise,
> looks-wise, functionality-wise, etc.  If the guy had given any
> concrete info beyond "oooh, Firefox is slow to start up on OpenBSD" he
> would probably receive some good suggestions on figuring out what the
> problem is, if any.
>
> Personally my attitude is he can stick with Linux, not because he's
> looking for a similar experience on OpenBSD but because he doesn't
> seem to be able to formulate a reasonable request for help.
>
> Greg

None of you seem the slightest bit interested in telling him HOW to
"formulate a reasonable request for help".

Damn, you're right.  I forgot how hard it is to see this:

http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html

when looking for the mailing lists.

But, here, I'll cc him with this message since it appears he didn't
read the above:

"Do your homework before you post
   If you have an installation question, make sure that you have read
the relevant documents such as the INSTALL.* text files in the FTP
installation directories, the FAQ and the relevant man pages (start
with afterboot(8)), and check the mailing list archives. We want to
help, but we wouldn't want to deprive you of a valuable learning
experience, and no one wants to see the same question on the lists for
the fifth time in a month."

"Include important information
   Don't waste everyone's time with a hopelessly incomplete question.
No one other than you has the information needed to resolve your
problem, it is better to provide more information than needed than one
detail too little. Any question should include at least the version of
OpenBSD (i.e., "3.2-stable", "3.3-current as of July 20, 2003"). Any
hardware related questions should mention the platform (i.e., sparc,
alpha, etc.), and provide a full dmesg(8). Hardware model numbers,
unfortunately, don't indicate much about the actual content of a
particular machine or accessory, and are useless to anyone who doesn't
have that exact machine sitting where they can easily recognize it.
The dmesg(8) tells us exactly what is IN your machine, not what
stickers are on the outside."

HTH,
Greg