more to the point, i wish to buy "stuff that works well" under openbsd, & clearly this is linked to the policies of vendors on disclosure, and developer interest.

now if i can only guess at equipment that was fully documented, & followed up with support for the developers, then how can i allow my $$ to reward vendors with those policies, that help you write better code that we enjoy using?

if i follow you correctly -
#1 there's a strict requirement for privacy for dmesg@ - fair enough. i've sent a line to nick@ to clarify this in the FAQ as i've not seen it mentioned elsewhere.

#2 you don't want to suggest to people that they can _also_ send a dmesg somewhere else as this might confuse them, & you won't get bug reports. i would hope somebody able to file the bug reports you ask for is able to manage CC'ing a dmesg to somewhere else as well without getting lost on the way.

if I can't easily identify "stuff that works well" then I end up spending 500$ on a mobo destined for dust-ware, instead of on your admittedly great OS. & since my first CD was a 2.8 one, i'm loath to waste my money on junk kit that doesn't run well on openbsd.

the http://www.openbsd.org/i386.html page doesn't include any info on motherboards, although it does cover the peripheral side pretty well. i'd be happy enough with a few notes on mobos that work here - but where would i as a user go to get this information? if you think it's our business to send in updates for this page, i'll do so - but i think i am not a good person to tell when a mobo is fully supported, or if the h/w vendor was helpful.

if you stick to refusing #2, well, as always, it's your OS, & your call as developers. but i think that you are reducing your support base if there is no reference point for "stuff that works well".

a+
scorch