On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 10:08:02PM -0700, Darrin Chandler wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 12:40:48AM -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:

> > However, is it correct that when a new release comes out every six
> > months, you have to reboot into that?  How long does an upgrade from one
> > release to the next take?
>
> Yes, you must reboot and perform the upgrade. If you read the upgrade
> guide and get your ducks in a row you can be all done *easily* in 30
> minutes. If there were some kind of contest with cash prizes it could
> probably be done much quicker. However, it's much more important to get
> the steps right than to do it quickly, IMHO.

So on a production machine, it has to be off-line for 30 minutes every
six months (not complaining, just clarifying).

> history you can pick up some interesting bits around the net. The
> Wikipedia pages on this aren't as bad as they could be.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenBSD
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_Software_Distribution

I've read them and they seem like a good introduction.

I'd like to track down the origional BSD SMM (assuming that it was
released under a BSD licence), from before it was printed by O'Reily and
hense copywritten.

Thanks

Doug.