On Saturday 14 April 2007 10:06, Paolo Supino wrote:
> Hi Joachim
>
>    I know that right now I'm mostly going at it in the wrong way but
> I have to fix it quickly and without changing the infrastructure. I'm
> not a windows or layer 7 person but rather a layer 1 to layer 4 in my
> background, so I'm trying to find a solution in those layers. I work
> in an environment where I'm told: Fix it without spending money ...
> The webapp development was outsourced thus the developers aren't
> local. Blunt objects aren't an option :-(
>    The legitimate email structure (subject and content) is pretty
> limited and steady. Will sendmail + procmail to filter emails be a
> solutions?
>    I will try to implement rate limiting.

Just a thought -- is it practical for you to have a white list? For
example, I am wondering whether you could have a white-list table in pf
and configure your openbsd firewall to allow email to go only to
addresses in that white list from your app server. That may be  easier
and more elegant to do with OpenBSD than limiting the smtp service to
connect to authorized remote servers using TCPIP settings on Windows.

--
Vijay Sankar
ForeTell Technologies Limited