I'm running Postfix/Dovecot with PostgreSQL (for authorization and mail routing) all from the ports. I've got it setup so that in the near future I can do virtual hosting of my wife's domains. It's pretty simple to setup and there is a examples at postfix.org and dovecot.org. It would be easy enough to right a script (pick your language) or setup a GUI application/web page to administer user accounts.

Shane