On Apr 16, 2007, at 11:54 PM, Timo Schoeler wrote:
I can just vote for postfix/cyrus, or even better (from a licensing
PoV), sendmail/cyrus.

Speaking of Squirrelmail: Did you enable server-side sorting?

4. General Options

-> 10. Allow server thread sort    : true
   11. Allow server-side sorting   : true

That should speed up things very much ;)

Thanks for that tip. Unfortunately, it was with a server that did not support server-side sorting. The server was EIMS (http:// www.eudora.co.nz), a mail server that runs on Mac OS X. I have been evaluating it as a possible option in addition to dovecot and other choices. Its lack of support for THREAD and SORT bothers me a little. I need to just bite the bullet and use dovecot with postfix/qmail/ sendmail and run everything off of LDAP.

Bryan