Hi Aaron,

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 08:35:52PM -0500, Aaron Hsu wrote:
| The threads regarding the Macbook Pro and ACPI support all seem to
| indicate that they can successfully boot to the install prompt once they
| enable ACPI through the UKC config prompt, which may or may not be usable
| until an user inserts a USB keyboard into one of the usb ports (perhaps
| only one particular port may work). However, this is not working for me.

What OpenBSD version are you using ? You mention 'latest snapshot',
how old is it ? Some fixes have been made (a couple of months ago) to
fix typing at the bootprompt.

| Even with an external keyboard in the computer, I am unable to get the
| system to respond at the UKC prompt. Booting without the prompt also
| results in a hang at a point which seems different than the hanging points
| that the other posters are reporting. My computer seems to hang right at
| the end of booting the kernel, after it prints a line starting with "rd0,
| ...." and some other kind of information and numbers.

These days, things should 'just work' wrt typing on the boot prompt.
However, I used a trick to boot an ACPI-enabled bsd.rd (self-compiled)
to get the thing going. If you still have problems with typing at the
bootprompt, perhaps you can try this. Just use config(8) on your
bsd.rd kernel and enable acpi (or build your own with the correct
options set). Then boot this kernel from a CD you make or over the
network. You'll have ACPI and no more need to type at the prompt (it's
a workaround, but it worked for me).

| I also couldn't find any particular threads on this problem which applied
| particularly to the Macbook Pro. Most of the articles I found were about
| the Macbook. Am I misreading something?

Please read http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=117002194202234&w=2 for
my post to misc from January. It was specifically about the MacBook
Pro, since this is the machine I use ;) Since that e-mail, I've moved
to using rEFIt to dual boot between MacOSX (which I still need,
unfortunately) and OpenBSD.

Cheers,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/