I subscribe to the digest, so I've copied the message and excluded the
quoting characters (>)

------------- Quote ------
Date:   Mon, 7 May 2007 10:29:50 -0700
From:   "John Mendenhall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:     "Artur Grabowski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC:     misc@openbsd.org
Subject:        Re: new openbsd 4.0 server, panic on ufsdirhash

Artur,

> Have you done forced fsck of the partitions? This sounds like a
> problem with the data you have on disk. It would be even nicer if you
> could update to a newer fsck because it has been updated to deal with
> many new strange corner cases we've been seeing. Although, that might
> or might not require a fully -current system, I'm not fully aware of
> everything that has been going in fsck, but some of the ffs2 support
> might have messed things up.
>
> We've seen one of those panics recently on an important OpenBSD
> infrastructure machine and that led to a lot of fsck work (since
> fsck didn't catch the particular problem). But on production
> machines we deal with filesystem corruption by simply dumping the
> filesystem and restoring it from scratch. You might want to try
> that as well.

We have done a forced fsck on the partition with the
error.  The problem is, there is no data other than
the openbsd install.  All I was trying to do was load
the source from the openbsd cd into /usr/src.

I don't need to restore since this is a new machine.
I have not done anything to it.

I'll just reinstall the entire thing.  Unless someone
wants me to try something else.

Thanks!

JohnM

--
john mendenhall
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------- /QUOTE

John,
I've heard, and seen, a lot of odd problems that can't be duplicated
with the same error when there's either of the following true.

1) overclocked hardware
2) bad system memory

I'm doubting your system memory, but I'm curious about your
overclocking.

I don't think I've followed very carefully what you've already tried,
and wonder if the mindset has ever drifted away from Hard Drives and
ATA controllers.

Another thread suggested catting /dev/ad0s1 >/dev/null and seeing how
many errors you get.  If you get errors, it might point to what can't
be read (and maybe can't be written then).  You might have to use
another tool, but you should get the jist of what I'm trying to
suggest.

Good luck.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
"I can" is a way of life.
More and Bigger is not always Better.
The road to success is always uphill.
http://mail.yahoo.com