The 1st stage loader just resets the prom before the kernel load.

Can anyone else confirm this? You don't even need to elfrdsetroot(8) to test. Just compile bsd.rd with MINIROOTSIZE=16384. I've been using 32768 on my 4.0 systems for the bsd-appliance project.

I've tested it on an AMD Athalon, an AMD Geode, and a VMWare machine.

l8*
        -lava (Brian A. Seklecki - Pittsburgh, PA, USA)
               http://www.spiritual-machines.org/

    "Guilty? Yeah. But he knows it. I mean, you're guilty.
    You just don't know it. So who's really in jail?"
    ~James Maynard Keenan

PS: Also, am I imagining this:

  .if !${IDENT:M-DI386_CPU}
    CMACHFLAGS=     -march=i486
  .else
    CMACHFLAGS=
  .endif

Somewhere this logic must be getting short-circuited in my config. I'm seeting "-march=i486".