I'm hoping to actually go smaller once FreeBSD has a funtional pivot_root() in the VFS layer (we can steal it from them) Then I can do a 512k RD/MD image (init, tar, gzip, mount_mfs(8), sh, etc.), then transition to a 64 to 96 meg MFS root.

I'm talking to a consultant tomorrow about some kernel work. If pivot_root() discussion goes no where, I'll bounty it here.

On another system, I can have a full userland (/bin, /sbin) with as little as a 8 MB RD/MD (with dynamic linking + crunchgen + some pruning).

It's tougher on OpenBSD, but I want it to work with my bsd-appliance framework.

~BAS