On Saturday, August 18, 2007 at 16:33:52 +0300, Timo Myyrd wrote:
>Still having problems. I can't get the soekris to boot as far as I can tell.
>
>I used fdisk and created slice for OpenBSD and then used disklabel to
>create the partitions inside it.
>After that I extracted sets (base,etc,man) to the disk.
>I used "fdisk -u sd1" to update the MBR.
>I modified the /etc/ttys to:
>tty00 "/usr/libexec/getty std.19200" vt220 on secure
>
>I added following to boot.conf:
>set tty com0

Don't forget to set the speed to 19200 here as well.  The default for
the kernel is 9600 bps and the getty is only started at the end of the
boot process.  Until then, you see nothing or rubbish at best at the
serial console.

>I connected the card to soekris and put the DB9 cable between soekris
>and my laptop.
>Before turning power to soekris I gave command "tip -19200 tty00" on my
>laptop and it replied "connected".
>After I turn on Soekris.... nothing happens.

If there's no output at all, then you might have the wrong serial cable
(there are quite a few types of serial null-modem cables) or the Soekris
is dead.  You should at least see the Soekris powering up, counting
memory and so on.  I suggest to get this part working first.

>I wait a while, turn it off
>and mount the CF again with the reader.
>I mounted the partitions again and check the /var/log/messages and it's
>empty. Shouldn't here be some info if the OpenBSD itself would have booted?

If the system had booted OK, the boot log should be there.  Perhaps
there's a problem with the disk geometry (the card reader might use a
different translation then your Soekris), perhaps something went wrong
during the install with the bootblock?
I find it much easier to use pxeboot and let the installer handle all of
this.  But in either case, I think you should get the serial console
working first.

HTH,
Maurice