Filenames in foreign languages can sometimes be a little problematic,
because Unix doesn't really have any standard on how to store them on
disk - filenames are just byte arrays. Because a machine may have users
with different locales this can make sharing files very difficult, so
the desktop environments seem to be storing filenames in UTF-8 with no
regard to the locale.
GTK apps also look at the environment variable G_FILENAME_ENCODING,
which you may want to define, but if memory serves me correctly it
defaults to UTF-8 so with an UTF-8 locale you don't need to care.

Are you sure .profile is sourced in your X session? Try checking the
environment variables are set in an xterm.
The command locale will also print out the locale settings, but I can't
remember if OpenBSD has one (I'm stuck on a painful mobile device so I
can't check).

Do the filenames look ok if you ls them in an xterm?

HTH,
Jussi Peltola

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had
a name of signature.asc]