On 9/24/07, Christian Weisgerber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Aaron W. Hsu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I am willing to guess that with something like Hebrew, OpenBSD has all the
> > necessary support for the system, but, most common applications do not have
> > support for the right-to-left way of writing.
>
> Well, do you consider, say, ksh and vi as part of the system or as
> "common applications"?
>
> What about wscons?  Does a Hebrew VT220 change writing direction?

http://mlterm.sourceforge.net/

vim supports right to left layout and Arabic shaping, but without
Unicode semantics for number strings, so you kinda have to know what
you're doing if you're going to use it to edit text with number
strings.

emacs has had an implementation of r-t-l for years, waiting for
somebody to test/debug.

A good resource for this sort of thing is arabeyes.org.  Their focus
is Arabic but they try to accomodate any r-t-l language, including
Hebrew (in general, if it supports Arabic, it supports Hebrew).  They
also stick to technology.

-gregg