Hey guys,

We just ran across an odd intermittent problem with email that we
traced back to spamd showing up as an open relay. I double-checked the
documentation and mailing list archives and didn't find anything
relevant.

Our mail server is bara.nccn.net, 12.165.58.50. There is a
bump-in-the-wire firewall sitting in front of bara, running OpenBSD +
spamd and a few other goodies. spamd is configured to intercept
incoming smtp connections in the usual way in pf.

Some sample results from http://www.checkor.com/:

RSET
250 Hello, spam sender. Pleased to be wasting your time.
MAIL FROM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
250 Ok to start over.
RCPT TO: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Test Failed, 250 You are about to try to deliver spam. Your time will
be spent, for nothing.

and

RSET
250 This is hurting you more than it is hurting me.
MAIL FROM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
250 Ok to start over.
RCPT TO: @12.165.58.50:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

RCPT TO: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"@12.165.58.50
Test Failed, 250 You are about to try to deliver spam. Your time will
be spent, for nothing.

and

RSET
250 This is hurting you more than it is hurting me.
MAIL FROM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
250 Ok to start over.
RCPT TO: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Test Failed, 250 You are about to try to deliver spam. Your time will
be spent, for nothing.

This is causing some of our outbound email to end up in other peoples'
junk boxes by default by large service providers (oops).

Is there some configuration for spamd that I've missed, or is it going
to require a patch to fix the way it handles mail from/rcpt to, or is
there another workaround?

Thanks,

- R.