On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 08:35:10AM +1000, David Gwynne wrote:

On 27/09/2007, at 8:06 PM, Stephan A. Rickauer wrote:

A new server shippped by a local vendor fails to boot bsd.mp, with and without acpi enabled (amd64, 4.2). Without acpi it will reboot directly after mounting the root device. With acpi enabled it will hang with "arc0: unable to query firmware for sensor info". Uniprocessor kernels would boot fine, both acpi and without. Pls. find dmesgs of those as well as more info below.

I'm pretty sure that message from arc is a result of interrupts not being hooked up correctly.

also, arc doesnt hang after printing that message, it gives control back to the rest of the kernel. presumably the kernel is hanging while waiting for io on the disk to work, but of course, the disk is on arc and interrupts arent wired up to it correctly so just blocks.

dlg

I see. However, only bsd.mp hangs, bsd boots fine. Is there anything else I can
try?

Stephan