On 11/10/2007, Steve Shockley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > So, there are some web sites that I need to access that use flash.
> > Mostly, online product catalogues.  Does this mean that I have to use
> > Debian on my main box to do this since OpenBSD doesn't?  Is that more
> > secure?
>
> At that point, why not just run Windows?  The vendor is unlikely to
> support you using their Flash catalog under Linux anyway.  Or, try to
> make Flirt or Gnash work for your catalogs.  Or ask the vendor for a
> version that's not in Flash, or find a vendor that doesn't try to "hide"
> their catalog/pricing in a SWF file.
>
> The point you've missed is that the developers aren't interested in the
> effort to make a binary blob work.  I guess someone did want to make
> some effort, that's why there's Opera and Opera-Flashplugin for i386,
> but It appears Opera doesn't make an amd64 Linux or FreeBSD version.
> Shame, if you had the source you could probably just compile the amd64
> version yourself.

I see Gnash is in packages. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnash )

Do Strong Bad emails ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strong_bad_emails
) run in the newest Gnash? Has anyone tried it?

IMHO sbemals are the #1 reason to put up with Flash.

(YouTube/Google Video aren't really valid reasons, because if Google
had any sense, they'd switch to Theora, (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theora ) or at least make that an option
selecable in the Google Video preferences.)