On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 22:51:26 +0200, Tilo Stritzky wrote:

>On 10/10/07 21:37  RW wrote:
>> Then (the devil made me do it!) I thought: Why not four OpenBSDs  as in
>> Release, Release minus one, current and some experimental stuff. Just
>> multiboot to whichever and away.
>>
>> Is it at all possible? If so what is the trick? I <did> flag the new
>> MBR entry as active and I can't see anything in the docs that
>> contemplates this kind of set-up.
>>
>It's actually not very difficult  but ...
>"If you have to ask, you shouldn't be doing it"

Pushing boundaries on a machine without internet connection and (unless
it works) not a part of critical infrastructure is just fun for
learning. If it blows up an OpenBSD flush and install another way is
not exactly the punishment that Linux or Windows would inflict.
;-)

>Start your first install. Make one fdisk partition (OpenbSD type).
>disklabel as many slices as you want OpenbSD releases (plus swap, plus c).
>Install one on slice a.

Hmmm. Right there is the showstopper. I <did> say it was so I could
build stable for at least a couple of releases. I have 9 slices on my
present builder and could probably lose a couple. but only one to build
and clean on? Not for me. I have listened to the experienced crew about
having filesystems you can just flush rather than rm -rf * on.

Looks like a lost cause. I did really want to get out of all the drive
swapping with wear on the connectors (the old IDE trays at least had
rugged sockets like the old centronix ones, the SATA trays have an
edgecon and I don't rate edgecons as suitable for lots of insert/remove
cycles with a heavy mechanical load) but if it don't fly, c'est la vie.

Thanx,
Rod