On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 08:29:53AM +0530, Girish Venkatachalam wrote:
> On 01:58:13 Nov 15, Jacob Meuser wrote:

> mplayer can play any media. In fact you don't need any other
> application.

nonsense

> e) digital television

you are obviously not talking about mplayer on OpenBSD.

> > I see a statements like:
> >
> > It is a mature application that has no parallel.  MEncoder, it companion
> > video encoder program, does a much better job than FFMPEG in transcoding
> > video, although it is a bit difficult to use and learn.
> >
> > that have no basis.
>
> Why?

because you do not say how or why it is better.  are the options
more sensible?  is the compression better?  is the overall output
smoother?  higher quality vs lower bitrate?  what is "better"?

> > how and why MEncoder "does a much better job than
> > FFMPEG in transcoding video"?  there is no comparison whatsoever
> > between ffmpeg transcoding and mplayer transcoding.  further, mplayer/
> > mencoder are heavy users of libavcodec/libavformat (FFMpeg libraries).
> > that's what all those 'lavc*' options are.
>
> ffmpeg screws up the videos. Did you know that?

I am the ffmpeg port maintainer.  I use ffmpeg regularly for video
capture and transcoding.  it works quite well for me, and there are
no outstanding bug reports for the port.  I have never heard from you
about "ffmpeg screws up the videos".

look, someone asked about playing media on amd64 and whether
win32-codecs was important.  this immediately made me think of
mplayer because it really seems to want to use those blobs, so
I offered some other options which I prefer, while you insist
that mplayer is the be-all-end-all.  no I don't write articles,
but I do work on OpenBSD's multimedia ports.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]