On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 08:06:02AM +0100, Marc Espie wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 08:13:42PM +0530, Girish Venkatachalam wrote:
> > mplayer cannot understand DVD menus. That is the only problem mplayer
> > has IMHO.
>
> ogle is about the only unix app out there which works reasonably well
> with dvd menus.
>
> mplayer has a lot of minor issues. Lots of option combinations make it
> dump core. Some extra functionality is broken. Its command-line options
> are often hard to figure out. It's mostly single-threaded, which is annoying
> with recent processors. Some of its codecs don't synch properly on fast
> forward... but yeah, apart from all these problems it works fine.
>
> For jakemsr: as far as video quality goes, mplayer can have it fairly good,
> probably as good as vlc or better. But you have to play with post-filtering
> options to get there.

no doubt mplayer is highly configurable and can do lots of things.
certainly its strongest attribute is its ability to recognize and
play all sorts of media.  no doubt it is a useful tool.  I
would not have bothered to clean up the audio interface (or add
bktr support) in OpenBSD if I thought it was worthless.

but more and more, I like things that work well by default and have
easy to understand interfaces.  I have found that vlc has smoother
playback -by default- than mplayer.  vlc of course has libpostproc
based post processing filters, too.  and I have found that ffmpeg is
a much more straight forward tool for transcoding than mencoder, and
is plenty tweakable, as far as balancing encoding speed/compression/
quality.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]