Insan Praja SW wrote:
Hi Misc,
I got an important directory in my 4.1 bsd and it's deleted using rm -rf :(. Anyone had experience restoring them? I really.. (I mean Really) need help on this one..

Thanks,
Kind Regards,

Insan

depends how much trouble you want to go to and in what format your files were. there are companies who will charge 800-2000$ for recovery...

for a DYI-er:

stop using the box/filesystem
use dd or something like that to get a bit-for-bit copy of the filesystem. the underlying data is probably still there, maybe not so accessible - something like this:

dd if=/dev/rsd0f of=/var/tmp/dd_rsd0f bs=64k

use strings(1) and then grep or less on this to see what readable stuff you can get out of it. txt files will emerge quite usable, but not necessarily in order.

if you need complete unadulterated data then there are a few other things you could try, but basically you'll need to get down & dirty with disk blocks.

NB suggest using vsconfig to "mount" a copy of your dd file as a volume again, and then fsdb to see what you can recover.

a+
scorch