On 12/12/07, ropers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 12/12/2007, ropers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On 12/12/2007, Richard Stallman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >     As a last question. Will gNewSense become "non-free" if I start a
> > > "ports-like"
> > >     software install package project for it?
> > >
> > > If your install package has ports for non-free software, then it would
> > > promote non-free software.
> > >
> > > If it were included in or recommended by gNewSense, then gNewSense
> > > would promote non-free software.  I trust they wouldn't do that,
> > > because their policies are not to do that.
> >
> > And I repeat again:
> > The OpenBSD ports tree is *neither included in nor recommended* by OpenBSD.
> > OpenBSD *Does. Not. Do. That.* because OpenBSD's policies are not to do
> > that.
> >

> And if people chose to use the ports tree anyway, despite what was
> recommended, and chose to use it to install unfree software, despite
> the fact that hints are there that note unfree software as such, then
> that is their own fault. People should take responsibility for their
> own choices. OpenBSD is an operating system, not a nanny.

Agreed.
It is now clear that Richard Stallman is not recommending the OpenBSD
"distribution" (ports + kernel + base), not only the kernel itself.

I can understand the reason for "bashing" OpenBSD but I can't share the same
view, since

 - ports lives in user space
 - users aren't required to use/install ports
 - ports itself is free, despite poiting to some non-free software

If an entire distribution can be "tainted" by non-free third-party
software being
ported,
what to say about other issues, such as LGPL'ed code that, in fact, "promotes"
non-free software just by being linked to it?