On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 03:37:31AM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:

> However, if distribution D includes this "easier way to install" in
> its ports system, by doing so distribution D endorses it and takes on
> the ethical responsibility for it.

Nope.

Users have responsability for what they do. We do not take responsability
for them. We give them enough information to make their informed decision.

In my opinion, that's the ethical way to do things.

But then, that's the main difference between BSD and GNU.

In BSD land, we trust the human nature. We're not condescending to our
users, we treat them as adults and we let them make *their* own ethical
choice and take their own decision. We are *neutral* with respect to
commercial programs. Maybe they're evil, maybe they're not. But we show
enough respect to people to let them choose what they want.

In the brave GNU land, you've taken upon yourself to take ethical decisions
and protect the user from making those decisions...

I think it's pretty clear where I stand. Of course, my voice doesn't carry
the weight yours does.

`with great power, comes great responsability.'

maybe you're misusing your power, Richard.

'nugh said.