* Richard Stallman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-12-12 17:52:29]:

>     In the end, the only way to prevent users from running non GPL
>     software
>
> Is there anyone here who actually proposes to prevent users from
> running non-GPL-covered software?  Not I.  I frequently run OpenSSH,
> whose license is not the GNU GPL, and is incompatible with the GPL (if
> my memory serves).  It is free software, so why not use it?
>
> Is there anyone here who actually proposes to prevent users from
> running non-free software?  Not I.  I think that software is
> unethical, and I refuse to install it, or suggest it to anyone.  But I
> have not proposed that systems actually block its installation.
>
> If no one is in favor, why argue against?

So you support the freedom to install whatever the hell you want?
However, the OS should not suggest that to the user?

I guess everything is fine unless the secret gets out...
Especially since it's pretty easy to add new repositories on many
ports systems.

I think that if you do get what you want,
Stallman, it's going to be because the user wants that too.  It's
their choice, and _I don't see how operating systems should be
incharge of morality._

The people who ought to be incharge of morality are people themselves.
Every person needs to make a conscious decision to act in such and
such a manner.  You can certainly advise them, but heavy-handed
action such as gNewSense is a bit too much for me.

It also seems silly to me this idea between "tainted" and "clean"
oses, such as Open and gNewSense, respectively.  Take for example
a user that runs Ubuntu Linux but proscribes to your free-only
philosophy.  They don't have to install the adobe flash plugin
(which I believe is still a binary of sorts.) They can choose not
to.  If they are choosing not to do it because of ideological
grounds, they are probably well-informed.  The only difference in
the end is choice.  It's the choice that matters, not what the
distribution ships with.  Hell, still on this example user, adobe
flash could even come installed and they never use it, what's the
difference between that and gNewSense?  Is it the orientation of
the bits on their hard drive that matters?  How about their neighbor's
hard drive?

Where do you draw the line?

--
Travers Buda