On Dec 14, 2007 5:44 PM, Gregg Reynolds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 12/14/07, Richard Stallman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Thus, the risk of leading people to use a non-free system by making a
> > free program run on it is small.  However, it is our practice when

This may be true 10 years ago.  However...

> That's one risk; the flip side is the risk of preventing people from
> exploring free systems by making the non-free systems so cozy.  Is
> this hard?
>
> From where I sit, few people do more than the FSF to minimize the cost
> of staying with non-free systems.  If all free software developers
> were to follow the lead of emacs, nobody would have any reason to
> switch from proprietary systems - everything useful would just run on
> windows, or osx, so why bother switching?

I am in that exact situation at work.  I want to run another OS, but
corporate policy dictates that we use Windows XP.  At my 3 last places
of work (fortune 100, fortune 1000, fortune 50), I fought against
corporate guidelines, and installed Linux (gentoo) on my laptop.

At my current place, because cygwin is available, I am currently
running XP on my laptop.

A more concrete example, one of the people who works for me is a big
time Windows fan.  However, in order to run nessus, he was going to
order a linux desktop to run nessus, and have it on his desk.
However, upon discovering that nessus will run in his windows XP
laptop, he is not looking for a linux box now.

However, on the flip side, it does allow me to have conversations with
people on open source software, and I've been pointing out
inconsistencies in peoples words and actions - on one hand saying
opensource is not as good, on the other hand, relying on some
opensource things.

--
http://www.glumbert.com/media/shift
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGvHNNOLnCk