bofh wrote:
> The reasons I've are:
>
> Need to support commercial packages
> Linux is more mainstream
> Debian has a maintenance program in place (ie, security patches are
> back ported to supported platforms)
> Longetivity of a particular level of release

I've used Debian a bit since 1997.  OpenBSD only more recently.  I've
used Debian on workstations for my employers, but mainly on their
servers.  It's the longevity of the releases that are highly attractive,
and in that I include the backporting of patches.  Oh, and APT rocks.

It will be interesting to see what comes back to the main Debian project
from Ian Murdock's work at Sun, and from projects like Nexenta.

The proactive security bit, strict open source and simplicity are
apparent in both.  Not being heavily technical, I can only guess at the
first and last bits but there OpenBSD appears to lead other distros.

However, since OpenBSD is a small project and to stay focused needs to
drop legacy releases, I can accept the need to migrate every 18 months
or so.  If OpenBSD got a little bigger, it might be possible to consider
borrowing the Long Term Support (LTS) idea from Debian's Ubuntu subset.

Regards,
-Lars