Benjamin M. A'Lee wrote:
They're not required to make their changes available. They're required
to acknowledge your copyright, but your licence does not require
proprietary developers to release changes at all and it does not require
GPL developers to release changes under your choice of licence.

As I understand it, if a GPL developer wants to extend a BSD licensed file, they only have two legal choices:

- release the modified file with just the BSD license (no additional GPL license)
 - release the unmodified file and a separate GPL-licensed patch

Note that I purposely exclude two cases, because they are illegal:

 - release the modified file with only GPL license
 - release the modified file with BSD license and additional GPL license

The reason why the first of these is illegal should be obvious. The reason why the second of these is illegal is because, by adding the GPL license to the same file, it applies to the BSD-licensed text, which is in contradiction to the BSD license. To be clear, the BSD license allows binary distribution without source disclosure while the GPL license does not. Thus, by adding the GPL license to a BSD licensed file, it is taking away BSD-granted rights.

Can anyone confirm this understanding?

Regards,
Kent