Okay, someone touched on this so I'll follow it a little further.

Say you pull the platter(s) out of the drive and now start analysing the data as analog voltage levels and not highs/lows with threshold. Also, get the data off the platter(s) by driving a head across it in different directions. Now start doing signal processing on the data set(s) you've acquired.

Any EE worth their weight in salt understands signal processing. I do believe a lot of younger engineers have grown up in the 1 & 0 digital world and forget about analog.

g.day

diana