On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 08:47:16AM -0600, Gilles Chehade wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 11:53:30AM +0000, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 05:49:42PM -0600, Gilles Chehade wrote:
> > > Why didn't you answer my mail Rui ?
> > > You are a troll.
> >
> > Either I did and you missed it, or it wasn't the answer you'd expect or
> > I found it so irrelevant it didn't even raise any bell.
> >

> You have not answered at all, you have answered to other people so that
> you could dodge my embarassing question instead of explaining why it is
> different to do the exact same thing when you are from the FSF.

I'm not from the FSF.

> According to YOU, it is okay to have emacs and gcc run on a proprietary
> system as it allows more people to run free software. How is it that it
> is wrong to allow more people to run a free system by giving them links
> to proprietary software if it encourages them to keep their free system
> instead of switching to a proprietary one ?

1) ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/ isn't "links"
2) using more free software is better than not running it at all
3) incentivating usage of non-free software on free software operating
   systems doesn't incentivate the creation of free software replacements
4) FYI I think the wine project is counter-productive as it enables
   running non-free software on free software operating systems, and as
   such de-incentivates the creation of replacements.
4.1) but it's free software and its authors have their own independence.

> By providing emacs and gcc for windows you encourage people to run just
> a few free applications with proprietary system and (many) tools, while
> we just give people the freedom to install a proprietary application on
> top of a free system with free tools.

Look, OpenBSD is aggressive enough that people who "need" such non-free
software likely won't even run it on OpenBSD, so what you're saying is
that to the convenience of a few people who don't care for freedom of
all users, you distribute non-free software.

> > Anyways, most of your emails have been so rude that in afterthought I
> > shouldn't even "honour" you with a reply.
>
> I try hard to keep my emails insult-free, saying that they are rude for
> helping you avoid embarassing questions is what makes you a troll. Just
> like your friend Stallman, you play on words and act like a victim if a
> person points at the flaws in your reasonning, grow up.

No, I am a victim and your (generically, not specifically you) attitude
actually makes my relation with OpenBSD very frustrating.

Rui

--
Wibble.
Today is Setting Orange, the 5th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3174
+ So let's do it...?