2008/1/16, Henning Brauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> * Piotrek Kapczuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-01-16 18:59]:
> > Hi
> >
> > 2008/1/16, Henning Brauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > > * Piotrek Kapczuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-01-16 15:51]:

> > > in-place updates are trivial enough to be scripted if you can make a
> > > few assumptions for your environment.
> >
> > Really ? More trivial script than something like this ?
>
> more trivial? who gives a f***? I said trivial enough.

Sending base42.tgz over 512Kb WAN link - 12 minutes.
Extracting base42.tgz on Soekris NET4801 to flash - 16 minutes
Estimated total upgrade time - looong.

Knowing it's not painful - it's "trivial enough" - priceless
(-;

> if you add the time it takes you to bake your kernel, I am probably
> already at the 5th beer after beeing done.

If you add your time spent on writing,testing, modifying that script
of yours ... well, I don't think so. Besides I don't treat building a
kernel as engaging work .

> > Imagine you have a customer. This customer has 18 carp'ed firewalls.
> > You have to upgrade them. Boxes are in 3 different towns each town
> > 100km far from you. You have only ssh access and no remote console.
> >
> > How can you remotely upgrade a box ? (without using bsd.rd) How long
> > will it take ?
>
> how? read the upgrade-minifaq, it is in there.

I though you do it in some other way.

> i have it scripted.
> i manage way over a hundred openbsd machines, many remote, and the
> "local" ones I don't touch either (i. e. i treat them like they were
> remote).
> it takes me about 2 minutes per reasonably fast machine.

You look like you're really happy with that method ... well, you've
convinced me.
I have a few fast machines. I definitely have to give a try with
"upgrade by scripting".

I'd really love to see your scripts. How do you do it ? Could you
please send me something off the list ? Please.

> > Really, in this kind of setups I don't think bsd.rd is something evil.
>
> well, I am absolutely certain it is evil in that scenario.

Well, it saves a lot of time for me.  For that scenario - flash
storage, slow links, slow constrained machines it's better to stay
with it - at least for me.

> > > my update downtime is no more than that reboot, no matter what machine,
> > > flash or not.
> > Update or upgrade ?
>
> 4.1 to 4.2 is not an update?

I've used to think:
update -   changes within major version - following -stable
upgrade - changes between major versions-  4.1 - 4.2

--
Regards
Piotr Kapczuk