> > > That is interesting to read and I will sure have a look at it, but like
> > > you said, these are Windows users here. (;>
> > > It may never fly, but I am interested in looking into this however.
> > > Thanks for sharing it!
> > > Best,
> > > Daniel
> > >

> > Glad to help if I can. One caveat to warn you about the windows
> > boxes, Daniel. I really had a hair pulling time on one & it turned
> > out to be because it had M$'s tools for unix administration on it.
> > It wasn't needed since cygwin was on there. I know it was running
> > nfs client services which also wasn't needed, left over from before
> > samba was totally incorporated across the network, and I'm not sure
> > what else, so there was undoubtedly something there conflicting with
> > cygrunsrv. Once the unix admin tools were uninstalled, and the box
> > rebooted & the tunnel established, when the clicking start-run-
> > typing in IP-enter crap was all done, the hookup was really fast.
> > I'm sure if you wanted you could reverse that & get rid of cygwin
> > & keep the unix tools running it's sshd as a service instead, but
> > I'm used to cygwin & actually kind of like it. It's helped me out
> > quite a bit in the past.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Denny White
On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 11:17:25AM +0000, Stuart Henderson sez:
> while this is a way if you _must_ use SMB/CIFS, I'm not too sure if a
> combination of samba, cygwin (which users won't bother to update once
> it's installed so no security fixes) and MS loopback adapter (for some
> client-breaks-their-own-network-and-shouts-at-you fun) is really the
> simplest and most secure setup.

If you're not real concerned about any particular packages, cygwin
is really easy to update, just as easy as microsloth, just a few
clicks, but yeah, good point. There are probably much better ways
to do it. I just threw it in the mix as a point of interest. OTOH,
I haven't had any network breakage from the adapter, but I'm sure
it can happen. Luckily for me & the few computers on this network,
it works really well so far. I haven't had any breakage or problems
since I uninstalled the m$ tools for unix off the one box.

--

Denny White

All messages scanned by ClamAssassin
http://jameslick.com/clamassassin/
GnuPG key  : 0x1644E79A  |  http://wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net
Fingerprint: D0A9 AD44 1F10 E09E 0E67  EC25 CB44 F2E5 1644 E79A
iD8DBQFHn1Hdy0Ty5RZE55oRApCVAJ4gKJozPeNqUqmbWTalvUrwtlQtiACgudqA
VderkGiSPmhKohKsI/MKdh0=
=6nl7
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----