while this is a way if you _must_ use SMB/CIFS, I'm not too sure if a
combination of samba, cygwin (which users won't bother to update once
it's installed so no security fixes) and MS loopback adapter (for some
client-breaks-their-own-network-and-shouts-at-you fun) is really the
simplest and most secure setup.