On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 10:31:28PM -0500, Richard Daemon wrote:

> > But of course you have "boot -a" at the boot prompt for selecting the root
> > device. And I want to try the same the next days :-)
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Stefan Kell
> >

> That brings up another question, hopefully there's an answer... rather than
> having to do boot -a (even from boot.conf) and be present to hit <enter>
> during root device selection, is there an easy way to tell it, yes, choose
> the default it sees after this?

Not that I am certain it would solve your problem completely,
but I would love having a boot(8) prompt command
        boot [image [root] [-acds]]
and
        set root [value]
It would then also be possible to set it in /etc/boot.conf.

But as far as I know it is a missing feature. And I
do not think the kernel is able to get root device
as an argument (yet).

Another not as good and still missing feature would be
to be able to set root device from boot_config(8).