On Jan 30, 2008, at 7:45 PM, scott wrote:

If MHz are the issue ... you can get SUN NETRA T1 machine off ebay from 50-300$ depending on its age and ingredients. These used Netra's range
from 400M-1.2G Hz. These are 1U units.  They offer far greater
performance bang then x86's at at like MHz.

Just to keep people informed: Netra T1 is LOUD. I mean, shockingly so. I can hear mine through the house, easily. It's also, easily, one of the loudest systems in the colo right now.

They run openBSD well, but there were some chicken and egg installation
difficulty stories around (boot/install from CD not working) but all
seems prior to 4.x. Not sure ... perhaps others can advise. I've only
ever seen them running.

Lacking both cd and floppy in mine, I found that netbooting bsd.rd worked. It's documented in diskless(8), and vaguely covered by INSTALL.sparc64. Note that you don't need to follow every single step, since you're mainly just looking to bootstrap the loader and the kernel from the tftp server.

Perhaps the Netra's will serve your cause.

Never know. I like them.