On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 09:38:30AM -0600, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> In reality, you cannot run your own mail server at home. This would
> require:
>
> 1) DNS resolution for your domain name
> 2) Appropriate MX records
> 3) Valid REVERSE DNS for your IP
>
> #3 is usually the big factor for most ISPS, without it, you will not be
> able to send email to any 'sane' mail server.

I have all of those on a home ADSL connection, although I doubt you can
get that from many ISPs, mine is about 20% more expensive than the cheap
ones and didn't even offer non-static IPs until about a year ago. If you
use your ISP's smarthost you can probably get away without reverse DNS,
I doubt mail servers are going to leave their mail undelivered because
the receiving MX is in a dialup range.

BTW, you forgot 4), the biggest obstacle with residential ISPs: blocking
of port 25 both ways, which is luckily becoming more and more common,
even to the point were the telecommunications regulation authority here
officially recommends it to ISPs. Love the spammers and stupid users...

--
Jussi Peltola