On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 02:51:31AM -0800, Chris wrote:
> I have a P3 box with 120GB HDD that's doing web, ssh and samba at the moment.
> am planning setup sendmail, spamd, mimedefang, clamd and spam-assassin
> on this box along with web, ssh and samba.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has any experience with running a mail server at
> home.
> I want to know if I should use only one box or buy another box? Also,
> what sort of electricity bills
> will I run into? And also if is there anything else I would need to know.
>
> Thanks for any help.

Well, as always, it depends.  What do _you_ mean by a mail server?  Do
you mean that you want people to mail you directly and your mail to go
out to the internet directly and bypass your ISP?  If so, you'll need a
fixed IP and help from you ISP since they normall block this for home
users.  Hey, my ISP says that their connection is only for one computer
that I can't run a network on their hookup.  I guess they've never heard
of UNIX and masquerading.

I run a mailserver in that I can mail internally and externally.
However, the mail all goes out to my ISP's smart host and comes in with
fetchmail.

Doug.