Shane Harbour wrote:
I beg to differ.  It really depends on your ISP and how far you really
want to go.  I've run everything (DNS, mail, etc) out of my basement for
3 years now.

Ditto.

I've been running my own OBSD web/mail server in an old 1U SuperMicro server up my attic for about two years now without incident. It's just for my personal domains, so there is not a lot of traffic.

I have an ATT-DSL account with 5 static IP's.

Because it is not co-located, when the DSL line acts up (couple times a year, when it's hot, usually), my mail and websites go off-line, but when I was paying for hosting, sometimes the same thing would happen occasionally, anyhow.

I have two SuperMicro servers, so if one has a mechanical failure, I have a back-up in place, but in the two years I have been running it, I have racked up more down-time playing with it myself, doing things like messing with my PF rules and other learning-related things, than all the downtime due to DSL and mechanical problems combined.

--
-wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
        http://robertwittig.net/