On Feb 7, 2008, at 7:38 AM, L. V. Lammert wrote:

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 02:51:31AM -0800, Chris wrote:
I have a P3 box with 120GB HDD that's doing web, ssh and samba at the moment. I am planning setup sendmail, spamd, mimedefang, clamd and spam- assassin
on this box along with web, ssh and samba.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with running a mail
server at home.

In reality, you cannot run your own mail server at home. This would
require:

1) DNS resolution for your domain name

check - mine runs dns too

2) Appropriate MX records

check

3) Valid REVERSE DNS for your IP

and check - piece of cake with a "business class" dsl package.

#3 is usually the big factor for most ISPS, without it, you will not be
able to send email to any 'sane' mail server.

        Lee

 Leland V. Lammert            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Chief Scientist     Omnitec Corporation
Network/Internet Consultants   www.omnitec.net

Ben Calvert
Chief walrus