* [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-02-22 03:18]:
> > The paper you mentioned has some info on possible countermeasures. The
> > best (IMO) is physically securing your RAM. This seems to fit in best
> > with OpenBSD's philosophy, which has never been to put much time into
> > thwarting attacks that require physical access to the box -- if you
> > have that, there are MANY avenues of attack, most of which don't
> > benefit much from immersing components in liquid N_2.
> Then we could drop the whole encryption framework, or?
> Why encrypting OWs? Nobody could crack the PWs if they don't have phisical
> access.. why encrypting the HDDs or using IPSec? It's all about "physical
> security" so why does OpenBSD care?

it should be kind of obvious the the scope for "physical security" in
the ipsec case is a whole lot different than just access to the
computer.
as for passwords, yes, the encrypted passwords to travel over the net
in some setups.

> Of course there many kinds of attack but if somebody shutdowns your box
> and reads the infos from your memory there's something we can do about it:
> Overwriting....

it is overwhelming how you
-fail to understand how malloc and friends work
-fail to research on that
-yet, without the slightest clue, start ranting and "making suggestions"

kinda a definition of trolling.

> Tell me how to ensure phyiscal security in bigger networks?!
> I don't talk about a 50+ company where you know everybody but more about
> 1k+ up to 130k users and more.

fortunately, nobody with at least half a braincell left will let you
anywhere close to such a network ever.

> if I'm wrong

if? you really think that is a conditional?

> please correct me..

that has been proven pointless numerous times before.

please just leave and annoy somebody else with your shit.

--
Henning Brauer, [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BS Web Services, http://bsws.de