Unix Fan escreveu:
> My understanding of paging isn't as good as the developers, but I do know
that memory isn't organized in an entirely sequential fashion..

> Free memory is organized into "pages", 4096 byte chucks of memory....
>
> If my system was shutdown, and someone attempted to recover information from
RAM, several obvious obstacles would be:

> 1) Significant portions of the RAM would be corrupt or in an inconsistent
state...
> 2) Important structures, like the page table could be lost...
>
> The "key" used by... mount_vnd for instance, wouldn't be in a predictable
location.... how would you find it?

> This is a waste of bandwidth...
>

> -Nix Fan.

I've tested the strings /dev/mem thing on my linux and my truecrypt
password was in the line following the command i call to mount it. This
isn't one hundred percent sure that always be there, but it was for
three times, from "cold" start (i do not know anymore what is cold start
:). So i think that a simple program that dumps the whole memory
contents, and a simple strings on that, you can try to find things that
"make sense" for a password. This attack is feasible for laptops. For
desktops i wouldn't be that worried. But i'll sleep well tonight. :)

My 2 cents,

--
Giancarlo Razzolini
Linux User 172199

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had
a name of signature.asc]