Nick Gustas skrev:

Kasper Revsbech wrote:

I have attached to windows xp clients by crossed cable one to each if (vr and vr2) The fun begins here, when i turn on and off the windows machines a couple of times one of the can't obtain a IP. It actually brings down the whole interface. I can't attach another BSD machine and run dhclient. Even if I set my own ip-addr on the client and starts to ping I can't reach the other machine. It dosn't even answer on arp on that if.
This is only solved by rebooting til gateway machine.
I have tried all combinations. like switching cables interfaces and so on. But I can't relate it to one windows machine, or one interface on the gateway, and it happens even thought I switch cables.

I don't get any messages in /var/log/daemons from the interface after it is down but the one still working keeps renewing.
I don't get any warnings in dmesg

I just attach it in the bottom...

I am realy stuck. I have tried to disable pf before and after the interface has gone down, but still the same. I even tried to take the take the disk to my soekris 4801 and switched the interface names and so on, but still the same...

I believe you are hitting a bug with vr, not sure if it's vr in general or just vr on the 5501. Try running 'ifconfig vr2 down' 'ifconfig vr2 up' and see if that fixes vr2. It may or may not have been fixed in -current, I haven't been following this issue.

Related thread:
http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/openbsd-misc/2007/10/12/336090

I ran into the same problem on a 5501 I was deploying, it could be triggered by simply unplugging and replugging the patch cable a few times, whatever vr interface it tried it on would be unusable, ifconfig down and up would fix it. I only needed two ports and couldn't risk this happening in the field, so I put a dual port intel card in to work around the problem.

Exactly...
The behaviour is the same, a de attached cable (Turned of machine) and then bang....
Anyone aware if this is fixed in current?