Paul Greidanus wrote:
Theo de Raadt wrote:
I'm just wondering how many people out there are using the floppy.fs installer still?
I think your assumption is that we are facing the space problem just
from the i386 side.  We are not.  We run on lots of architectures.
There is some semblance of size pressure from all architectures.

But in general we HAVE been coping just fine with that pressure, and
excending the install scripts.

Fair enough, I remember hearing/reading somewhere that there was no room left to add any features, apparently incorrect. In a worst case, if there is a useful, yet large feature, it can be added into cd and bsd.rd, but leaving it out of floppy? Having the floppy makes Open unique, and it's a good thing to have.

The main reason I asked is that I have not seen a floppy disk, or drive in the past 5 years, so it's interesting to know if others are actually using floppies still for this?
I have 8 computers in total and each one of them have a working floppy and 5 of them have working IDE zip-drives. I love using floppy disks. I also use zip drives to back up files as you can get 10 of them (which is 1Gb-2.5Gb) for as little as $1. You can also buy parallel port zip-drives for a $1 but OpenBSD has no driver for them as they are peace of
c****.  I  honestly  didn't see  SCSI  zip  drivers for  a while.

Kind Regards,
Predrag

P. S. If you want I would be more than happy to ship you a used floppy or a IDE zip drive for free anywhere on the North America continent.

We've been adding new features to the installer every release.  I guess
you just haven't noticed them, but they are there.  Lots of them.

I do notice subtle additions from time to time, but no huge changes. This is a good thing, it shouldn't change that much. But, if there are really good, and useful changes that don't fit, then it might be a problem.