Paul> "[Perl is not BSD licensed] What technical reasons have lead the
Paul> developers to elect this language ?"

I think you'll find that the Artistic License (especially 2.0) is roughly the
same level of liberation as the BSD license.  I'd be hard pressed to find an
application of Perl where having a BSD license would have been the deciding
factor.