--- Pieter Verberne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 07:20:32AM -0700, F. Caulier
> wrote:
> > I get the following when I (as root and standard
> user)
> > execute pkg_info, pkg_add or pkg_delete with Xorg
> on:
> >
> > # pkg_info
> > perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
> > perl: warning: Please check that your locale
> settings:
> >                LC_ALL = (unset)
> >                LC_CTYPE = "en_US.UTF-8",
> >                LANG =  (unset)
> >          are supported and installed on your
> system.
> >  perl: warning: Falling back to standard locale
> ("C").
>
> I had the same problem. See
> http://perldoc.perl.org/perllocale.html .
> But I havn't used that site for my solution. I found
> a workaround:
>
> # ln -s /usr/share/locale/en_GB.ISO8859-1
> /usr/share/locale/en_US.UTF-8
>
> > The point is that, I didn't changed anything
> related
> > locales and I couldn't find any config files where
> > these locales are specified. So I'm wondering why
> this
> > problem appears if I didn't change anything.
> Me too.
>
>  Pieter Verberne

Thanks for your fast reply.

I tried to figure out why this problem occurs and
following to that I noticed that this perllocale
warning only comes up when dropping a pkg_* directly
in xterm. When using screen in an xterm and dropping
pkg_* to it everything will work fine. Same for tty
shells without X where everything works fine too.

I don't know much about this terminal stuff, but if
everything beside XTerm works fine, could it be that
XTerm itself and not the locales are the problems'
source? Maybe XTerm doesn't manage to pass on the
locales correctly?

Some questions:
- Is this bug a dangerous one or can I ignore it
safely?

- Is this a bug related to XTerm?

- Should I set the LC_TYPE and LANG variables in
/etc/login.conf? (Is this a clean solution?)

- If I want to get the OpenBSD's default locale (is
this C/POSIX or another one?) back what file should I
link to whom? (Following Pieter's workaround)

- What about copying a CL_TYPE file from [0] in to the
concerned directory which is listed by perl?

[0]
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/share/locale/ctype/?only_with_tag=OPENBSD_4_3_BASE