Philip Guenther wrote:
On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 7:00 AM, Hannah Schroeter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 03:26:05PM -0600, Philip Guenther wrote:
I found a workaround:
# ln -s /usr/share/locale/en_GB.ISO8859-1
/usr/share/locale/en_US.UTF-8
That seems like a really bad idea to me.  UTF-8 and ISO8859-1 are
fundamentally different: UTF-8 uses variable-length characters while
ISO8859-* uses fixed-width (8bit) characters.  Giving the locale calls
the same data for those two is likely to result in incorrect behavior
for all characters >127.  Wouldn't it be better to simply not lie and
just set the locale to en_US.ISO8859-1?
Doesn't work for me either:

$ LANG=en_GB.ISO8859-1 perl -e 1
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
[...]
$ LANG=en_GB.ISO-8859-1 perl -e 1
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
[...]

The specific locale category involved in the original query was LC_CTYPE:

             LC_ALL = (unset)
             LC_CTYPE = "en_US.UTF-8",
             LANG =  (unset)

OpenBSD does include LC_CTYPE support for ISO8859-1:

$ LC_CTYPE=en_GB.ISO8859-1 perl -e 1
$

Philip Guenther

Fwiw, as said, rebooted the system.
Installed (make install clean) some p5-* modules
and other modules via cpan

No error/warning messages.
Didn't change any /etc/logib.conf or ~/.profile from stock

Was prepared to prepend installs with
env LC_ALL="C" (old Linux rembrances, in the first weeks they switched to UTF-8)
not even needed.
OpenBSD GENERIXCis "C" by default. Basta!

So, there must be a culprit somewhere who did change LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
(empty directory) but forgot to restore the env as it was found. Bah! Bah! Sure this is a GNU thinghie :-)

"Culprit somewhere", in my case, the -snapshot (c.45) then some 200 make package (cvs June 13): sorry, can't drill down.
Anyway, I was sleeping while the puter was busy.